Saturday 28 November 2020

Staying Home Part 2: Day 24

Only three more days of this "lockdown", although really compared to the spring it is only a partial one, and the "end of lockdown" on Wednesday for most people only means the lifting of some of the current restrictions, and not a return even to what we were able to do before this second shutdown started. More restrictions will mean more people getting through the winter alive and well, but it will also mean more businesses struggling and more people unemployed, particularly in hospitality and entertainment, and more people suffering from the impact of isolation and anxiety. There are no easy answers. 


My good intentions regarding getting to sleep earlier sort of worked last night. I did get to sleep a bit earlier, but then woke too early this morning with a nasty headache which has slowed me down all day and is only now beginning to clear. Despite the headache M and I went out this afternoon to do some "shopping", which was mostly collecting pre-ordered items.  N and I had both ordered things from Next as Christmas presents using their Click and Collect service, and I had other items waiting for collection from M & S (we only have a food store, but they have a collection point for other online orders). We drove over to Next in Milton Keynes, where there were quite a few people queueing for the collection point, then back here to M & S, where we did a bit of food shopping as well as collecting the packages. Again, there was a long queue of people waiting to get into the store - much like the spring lockdown. H and I were going to have curry tonight, but I had a very hot chinese dish last night and didn't feel like more spice, so I bought a pizza deal - 2 pizzas and 2 sides for £10. They do an excellent vegan pizza and vegan dirty fries for the two of us who don't eat dairy, TG had a cheese pizza and we got chicken wings as the second side. M doesn't eat pizza as he doesn't like cheese (dairy or non-dairy!), so he fended for himself, though he did have a few of the chicken wings. 


While we were out H went to the Post Office then out for a walk with her BF, and TF stayed home and baked some mince pies. I bought home takeaway coffee for myself and a hot chocolate for TG, and enjoyed a mince pie with the coffee. I had a bit of work to do after that - I usually avoid working at weekends, but it was just cutting and pasting material into an app, which is a bit slow and tedious but can be done while watching a video or TV.  I decided not to watch Strictly as I didn't think my headache would enjoy it, so I came upstairs and finished off a pair of socks while watching quieter things on my laptop.

 

No comments: