Monday 14 June 2021

A Warm and Mostly Lazy Weekend

After my long day out on Thursday I had a lazy weekend. On Saturday I had a rare few hours home alone, as M was working and H took TG out for a shopping exhibition to spend birthday money. It was another warm weekend, so I caught up on a few things then spent most of the afternoon hanging out in the hammock, listening to an audio book. There may have been a gin cocktail later on.     


On Sunday morning we went for a three mile walk round the canal and woods, before it got too hot. Everything is still beautifully green, early summer at its best. We saw a swan family on the canal for the first time this year - I think it may be the same parents as last year's swan family, as they same nest was occupied a month or so back. 


When we got back I helped TG to put up LED strip lights in her bedroom. She had asked for them for her birthday, and I had been procrastinating as I thought it might be complicated (there were some odd looking clips in the box I wasn't sure what to do with). Once we started it couldn't have been easier, as it was just a case of peeling off backing paper and sticking the strips to the wall. There were two strips of lights, which we ran up the corner by her bed and then round the room. We didn't have quite enough, with a 12 to 18 inch gap in the far corner - fortunately this was over the wardrobe, so she just put some bags on top of the wardrobe to hide the corner. The end result looks very impressive. The lights can be set to different colours and / or changing patterns. When combined with her galaxy light, she has quite a spectacular light show! 


A walk followed by standing on a step-ladder in a warm room reaching up to the ceiling for quite a while was tiring, so in the afternoon I went back to the hammock and watched most of England's opening match in the Euros against Croatia on my phone. Today I was back working in the archives again for the first time since mid-May. The office was warm, but I managed to escape upstairs occasionally to the temperature controlled storage area to cool down. This evening we went out for TG's birthday meal, which had been postponed from last week because R had to self-isolate. It was the first time all five of us had been out to eat together since just before the first lockdown last year - another lovely bit of normal. 

2 comments:

elli said...

I've got lights strung up 'round my Anchorhold room (aka my bed-sitting room) — tho' mine are on electrical strands (I think they're meant to be strung on Christmas trees), not sticky-strips. I like the look of the lights in her room — very tidy!

Kathryn said...

I love lights! I left Christmas lights strung up along the stair bannister for quite a while, just to brighten up the winter months. TG is very tidy minded and doesn't like things to be asymmetrical, so tidy lights is good!