Thursday 10 December 2020

Vaccinations are Happening

This week seems to have gone by surprisingly fast without very much of note happening. The weather has still been mostly gloomy, though we have managed to walk most days. M is on the busy week of his shift rota, working Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday evenings, and then an early shift today. We both had yesterday free so went into town in the morning to run a couple of errands. As we were there we stopped at Caffe Nero for coffee and a mince pie (me) and tea and an apricot croissant (M), then went for a walk along the canal. 


When not working I have mostly been knitting, reading and watching Christmas movies with the girls. Yesterday evening we had a "live" band rehearsal, and we have one more lined up before Christmas, and we are back to driving TG to and from dance classes four evenings a week. This year the timetable has everything spread out, another year she could do the same number of classes but only go two evenings - it is very much pot luck. 


The best news of the week is that on Tuesday the Covid vaccination programme in the UK started. Priority is being given to the over 80s, health workers and care home staff and patients. A friend who works for a local hospital says it all seems very efficiently organised. Not such good news is that there were a couple of allergic reactions to the vaccination on the first day, and they are currently not giving it to anyone with a history of severe reactions to medicines, food or vaccinations. Unfortunately I had a severe reaction to my pre-school booster jabs as a child, so may not be able to have that particular Covid vaccine (Pfizer). I have been having flu vaccinations for the past few years without any problems, so hopefully there will be a vaccine option that will work for me. M came home from work at the weekend with his lateral flow testing kit, and did his first home test on Tuesday. He was a bit unsure about the instructions, and I think he was almost as pleased that the test didn't show up as a failed test as he was that it was negative. In more depressing news, case numbers in our area have gone up quite a bit over the last week, bouncing back as soon as the semi-lockdown was eased. 


I am not normally a big drinker, but I must admit I am still enjoying my gin advent calendar every day, and having fun with different mixers. This one was a gin fizz cocktail, for which I made my own sugar syrup. Today was a lime flavoured gin with soda water and lime juice. These days my digestive system seems to like gin more than lime. I also proved to myself conclusively on Tuesday what I already knew, which is that it really doesn't like dairy! I went into M & S Food while TG was at dance and bought us both discounted desserts made with clotted cream, deciding to risk it for once. They were very nice, but had more cream than I expected, and my stomach was not at all happy as a result. It is funny how these things develop - I ate dairy without any problems for over 50 years. Fortunately there are so many good non-dairy options these days that I rarely miss it. 


A final piece of good news is that H and her boyfriend exchanged contracts on their house today, which means both they and the builder are now committed to the purchase as soon as the house is completed. Next year should be an exciting one for them! 

No comments: