Tuesday 22 December 2020

Vaccines and Errands

M received his first vaccine dose this morning, and reports a sore arm (similar to flu vaccine) but no other issues. There were a few stages to go through - registration, questionnaire, sign off by a doctor, vaccine, and then waiting time to check he had no reaction - but it all went smoothly. He said the people being vaccinated were a mix of about 60% elderly people and 40% NHS staff. I see there are reports that vaccine distribution is uneven and that some hospital trusts have yet to receive supplies, but in this area the system seems to be working well. The doctor M saw seemed to think the vaccination programme should be completed sometime between Easter and the summer. 


I went to M & S Food to pick up a few items, hoping it would not be too manic at lunchtime, and was pleasantly surprised to find only a short queue to get in. I also went into the pet store next door to buy a toy for R's dog for Christmas. He adores new toys but destroys them very quickly so any addition to the toy box is always welcome! The plan is that H will go over to R's on Christmas Eve to drop off and collect gifts and go for a walk with her sister while she is there. Then on Christmas Day we will have a virtual present opening by FaceTime or Zoom. I also did a bit more gift wrapping. I spotted these boxes in Tesco last week and got one each for TG and H. I have filled them with treats to have while we watch a movie and play games on Christmas Eve, and to snack on over the holidays. I'm working on the principle that this year anything that might add a bit of extra Christmas cheer goes! 

I also got a few other jobs done, including sorting out phone contracts for TG and M, which I had been procrastinating over. We have had SIM only contracts with Three for at least ten years and their customer service has been consistently excellent, but it always takes time to deal with upgrades and changes so I am inclined to put it off. I also needed to start the process of transferring H's contract into her own name - we carried on paying it for her while she was a student, but now she is working it's time to hand it over. M being decidedly non-technical, I have always dealt with all the phone contracts. 

This evening it was my turn to make dinner - haddock, sweet potato wedges and peas - then we watched Four Christmases, which was definitely not one of the better Christmas films I have seen! The All Creatures Great and Small Christmas special which I watched with M later on was much more enjoyable. 
 

No comments: