Sunday 17 January 2021

Rest, Renew and Restore

Rest, renew and restore ... that was the name of tonight's yoga class, but also sums up this weekend. I caught up on sleep - a blissful nine hours each night - and I will be starting work tomorrow feeling much more ready for a run of busy days than I did last week. I am now eight days into my 21 day yoga challenge and loving it. The classes are varied, and today's restful class was a lovely way to end the weekend, including 30 minutes of yoga "sleep". 


Yesterday was another of the grey, damp days, but it brightened up this morning so after I had tackled some band finance stuff (I managed to get the end of year accounts to balance. Woo hoo!) we went for a walk around the lake. When we got home H went out to meet her BF for a walk, wearing my hiking boots as she doesn't have any of her own and is fed up of trying to get mud off trainers. 

Yesterday evening we had a video chat with some old friends, and M had a call with another friend while I was doing my yoga today. We also watched some light TV as a family - The Masked Singer yesterday and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire today - and I have read, knitted and crocheted. Between us H and I cooked roast potatoes and yorkies for dinner to go with the last of the frozen turkey leftovers from Christmas. 

As well as resting and relaxing I did a bit more research and writing. It still surprises me how often a bit of judicious digging through Ancestry, the newspaper archive and other oddments on the internet throws up answers to questions. I have no idea yet of what this attempt at a book will look like. I am working on a draft which is just a chronological account of the lives of the women I am researching, but I feel that there will be a more interesting and readable way to tackle it once I have got the outline of the story down. My current plan is just to work through to the end of the chronological draft, read through it a couple of times and see what better plan, if any, jumps out at me. Goodness knows how long it will take even to get to that stage. I am still only on Chapter 3 of what my current outline expects to be 12 chapters, and while I am still working two paid part-time jobs it isn't going to progress very fast. I also have another writing project I should be working on which has been sadly ignored - one which I know will actually be published when it is eventually finished it as it is for the local historical society. I may be doing things badly out of order, but I am hopelessly distracted by my Edwardian ladies and their war time adventures. 

No comments: