Tuesday 2 February 2021

Minor Domestic Disasters

Today has been much warmer - 12 degrees (centigrade) when we went out for a walk after lunch - but as I write this I am listening to the rain coming down outside. The forecast is for it to get much colder again by the weekend, with a few days cold enough that we may get some more snow. On Sunday night H and G shuffled furniture around in her room to make space for a second desk (they borrowed TG's dressing table, which is multi-purpose and works as a small desk). During an abortive attempt to move her wardrobe, they uncovered a patch of damp and mould at the top of the wall behind it, which I suspect is due to the guttering needing either cleaning out or replacing. Something is clearly not coping with all the rain as it should! We meant to have a good look at the outside when we went for our walk today but forgot - must remember to check tomorrow, so that we can call someone to fix it. 

Everything seems to be falling-apart at the moment - the shower hose sprung a leak, the doorbell stopped working and couldn't be revived by a new battery, and then yesterday one of the kitchen cupboard doors fell off its hinges again. I managed to fix it last year by gluing toothpicks into the hole so that the screws could find some grip; hopefully I can manage it again. We have pretty much decided to replace the kitchen units this year, so I just need to patch it up well enough to last a few months. 


I bought a bunch of daffodils in bud last week and they are now brightening up the corner of the sitting room. This is the smaller of the two vases I bought recently - they are the same shape, just different sizes. I love how simple they are, and they display the flowers so much better than the old vases I have been using for years. 

My archives working week is done and I will finish our current freelance job tomorrow, which means four clear days to look forward to. Time to read, write, research and craft, I hope. I am knitting myself a hat which is colour work and needs much more concentration than most things I make. It is a long time since I did anything like this, so I am enjoying the challenge. I am hoping to get it done this week, as even with the extra effort of juggling two balls of yarn simultaneously, it doesn't take long to knit a hat. 

1 comment:

elli said...

Ergh. Isn't it frustrating when the 'little' household things pile up??

Hope you're having a good weekend🤗