Monday 8 February 2021

The Pros and Cons of Cold Showers

I have been researching the benefits of cold showers. Supposedly they boost the immune system (good in times of Covid!), improve sleep, increase endorphins, boost the metabolism and can even help with weight loss. On the other hand, they are ... nasty! Particularly when the water temperature is barely above freezing. I am managing to grit my teeth and put up with them, while reminding myself that they are good for me and that cleanliness is next to Godliness!

The predicted snow arrived, but although it snowed quite steadily only about an inch settled. M and I wrapped up warm and went out for a walk while the snow was still falling at lunchtime. We have been managing to keep reasonably warm indoors with the various electric heaters. Winner of the most effective heater prize has been the smallest and cheapest - H's £10 fan heater which she brought home from uni. We also won't have to suffer the heater-juggling and cold showers for much longer. After going through all the paperwork carefully we are confident that the heating insurance policy covers the repair and as we have an email from British Gas telling us to get an independent heating engineer in to fix it and that they will refund the cost, we now have the repair booked for this Friday. 

TG's school have a system where they send out complimentary postcards to acknowledge particularly good work or effort, and she received a French postcard today, recognising her efforts in attending all her early morning classes (on Google Classroom, not in person!) and saying that her work has been excellent. It amuses me that our family splits very clearly in two when it comes to languages. M and R don't click with learning languages at all and are complete monoglots; on the other hand H has a languages degree, I pick up languages fairly easily, and TG definitely has an aptitude for French.

2 comments:

elli said...

Good for TG! Always nice to have a good note ... I love learning other languages: Latin and French as a schoolgirl, then Mandarin, more French at university. In homeschooling my kids, I taught them / learnt alongside: Latin, Koine Greek, Biblical Hebrew. And a half-year of German, which they did not take to. I am continuing with my Greek daily, and several times a week with Thomas (almost 19 now!), and am set to resume Hebrew, whilst adding Aramaic ... And Russian! These will be just me. I've got all my books now, and rather a lot of extra time on my hands, in this new odd world!

I am so glad to hear you will/ought to have hot water by the end of the week! I have heard all of that re: cold water bathing as well, and in fact have noted the difference when I make a cooler shower a habit. The key is cooler, not icy, and having the choice, and a warm rinse if needed!!

Kathryn said...

I also learned French and Latin at school, then taught myself some modern Greek and can just about get by in Italian.

Apparently the best way to get used to cold showers is to start warm, then turn it to cold for the last little bit, gradually increasing the time. Sadly that is not an option right now!