Saturday 4 July 2020

Saturday: Hamilton and Holidays

Since lockdown forced me to reorganise my week I have been very much enjoying my more leisurely weekends. Today I have listened to my audiobook (Underland, by Robert Macfarlane), done quite a lot of cross stitch, read some of my non-audio book (Rewild Yourself: 23 Spellbinding Ways to Make Nature More Visible, by Simon Barnes) and watched Hamilton on Disney Plus with H and TG. We loved it, and can certainly see why it has been such a phenomenal success. Maybe when theatres are back we will get the opportunity to see it in London - I would love to see it live.


I did quite a lot of exercise today. This morning I did a strength Fiit class followed by yoga, then this afternoon went for a three mile walk with M. During our walk we discussed ideas for short breaks over the summer. Having cancelled our planned trips (Lake Garda and Disney World) we had not expected to go anywhere, but possibilities now seem to be opening up. We don't quite feel safe enough to fly, even later in the summer, but had started to consider something like an AirBnB. Talking it through and looking at prices, we realised that the Dorset caravan park we have visited many times over the last twenty years could be an option. It is always immaculately clean, and I'm confident that they will be taking extra care and have plenty of safety precautions in place. Usually it is very expensive in the summer, but as they are only just opening up (from today!) there were still reasonably priced breaks available for July.

After our walk, we talked it over with the girls, and have now booked to go in two weeks for four nights. Although the swimming pools will be closed (unless the government relaxes the rules between now and then) there will still be plenty of outdoor things we can do, and it will be lovely to get a little time by the sea. As long as we are careful, I don't think it will be any more risky than staying at home and doing outdoor activities. There have been some terrible pictures of overcrowded beaches, but the park is out of town in a quiet area, so if there is any sign of beach mayhem in the town we can keep well away.


After the excitement of holiday bookings (there was another I forgot to mention yesterday, which I will now save until tomorrow to write about) and Hamilton, we had a Chinese takeaway. A very nice end to the week.

No comments: