Sunday 21 March 2021

Another Lockdown Sunday

M has been at work again today, so we went for a short walk this morning before he went. I didn't see anything interesting enough to take a photo, so the one below is from yesterday. The market is still running in town as food stalls are counted as essential and being outdoors limits the risk; there were quite a few people there, but it was still much quieter than usual for a Saturday. I forgot to mention yesterday that I had ordered a library book using their Click and Collect system for the first time. It was very efficient. They have everybody's orders lined up in surname order in paper carrier bags and a service desk set up by the door. Returns go into a box in the entrance hall. 

For me it has mostly been a leisurely day, apart from sorting out the online grocery order this morning. My current routine is to order groceries for delivery on Tuesday morning. Delivery slots are not disappearing the way they did in the first lock down, but to get the slot I want I have got into the habit of booking a week ahead with a provisional order, then updating it later - so this morning I placed an order for Tuesday 30th, and then updated the order for this coming Tuesday. I occasionally get myself into a minor muddle by putting something on the provisional order instead of the current one, but mostly it works. 

I have also switched veg suppliers. For a year or so I had been getting an organic veg box delivery, but on R's recommendation I am now getting a box of fruit and veg delivered by a Bedfordshire company, which sources as much as possible locally (which at this time of year isn't much!) and delivers in our area on a Saturday.  So far we are very impressed with both the quantity and quality. Yesterday's box had potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, courgettes, aubergine, mushrooms, spinach, red pepper, apples, pears, bananas, plums, nectarines, a melon, strawberries and a grapefruit, all for £20 including delivery. 

This afternoon I watched Onward with the girls, another Disney movie which was released on Disney Plus last year, but which for some reason we hadn't got round to watching. After that TG took her first DIY lateral flow test. She read the instructions and did it by herself without supervision. The test was negative and didn't give a "failed test" result, so hopefully she did everything right. Then H cut my hair for me. Hairdressers are not reopening until April 12th, and after a first attempt last year which was definitely a bowl cut (she sorted it out, I'm glad to say!) she does a quite a good job of it. I then trim any uneven bits I spot and the end result may not be up to professional standards, but at least looks reasonable. I keep my hair pretty short - whenever I try to grow it out it never looks right. It has a life of its own and grows in different directions! H cooked a roast dinner for the last time before she moves out - we are definitely going to miss her kitchen skills. 

I worked a bit on the cardigan I have started knitting and read a bit of the book I collected from the library, which is an archaeological report on investigations into the medieval royal manor and priory which stood near this town. I have already read quite a bit of information about the site from associated documents which were published online, but the book is a lot more comprehensive. Some of the technical archaeological detail goes way over my head, but it is filling in gaps in my knowledge and making sense of some things that I already knew but in a vague and slightly muddled way. 

No comments: