Saturday 20 March 2021

Spring Flowers and Cake

We enjoyed our visit to Ascott House yesterday. Looking back at old blog posts it looks as though the last time we went was in July, when it was warm, sunny and very green. The best that could be said about yesterday is that it was dry!


There were areas which will soon be completely carpeted with daffodils. Some are already in flower, but they haven't yet reached their full effect - another couple of weeks and it will look spectacular. 


After our walk round the grounds we enjoyed drinks and cake at the cafe, which was open for takeaway. Our order got a bit mixed up, so M ended up eating my slice of lime and coconut cake and I had coffee and walnut which they gave him instead of his Victoria sponge. No complaints, though, as it was very good. Then in the evening, H bought us all a takeaway from Nandos. As M was working this afternoon, we had a big brunch this morning before he left, then TG and I took advantage of his absence to have pizza (which M doesn't eat) delivered for dinner. Very lazy having two takeaways in a row! I am intending to get back into healthy eating habits after Easter, so it won't become a habit. 


TG and I have decided to go back to watching regular movies together, so this afternoon we watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We are building up a list of things we want to watch or rewatch. Part of the plan is to tackle the Marvel movies. We have only seen a couple of the Avengers movies and one (or maybe two?) of the Guardians of the Galaxy series. 


Isn't this colourful planter full of spring flowers gorgeous! Makes me wish I didn't have black thumbs and could achieve beautiful things like this. At least I have managed to keep two pot plants alive which for me is a huge achievement!


Over Thursday and Friday I wasn't feeling great, with a sore throat and tight chest - nothing awful, just a slight cold, but enough not to want to do too much so I skipped my yoga "splits challenge" classes. I did at least manage a shortish walk on Thursday and the walk round Ascott yesterday. I didn't have any Covid symptoms and my vaccine should be giving me at least some immunity by now, but I used one of M's lateral flow tests just to be sure. I know they are not particularly reliable, but a negative test is still reassuring. I'm feeling much better today, so did a yoga stretch class and went into town with M this morning to run a couple of errands. 

The vaccine rollout passed a milestone yesterday, with half of UK adults now having had at least one dose. Most will only have had that single dose, as the decision was taken to allow up to 12 weeks between doses so that more people would get at least some level of protection more quickly, but the data so far is looking as though that was a good call. Death rates and hospitalisations are falling fast, although the drop in cases is slowing down. Sadly across most of mainland Europe cases are rising and many countries are heading into a third wave. I hope they can catch up with their vaccination programme and that it won't be too long before they can turn things around. 

No comments: