Thursday 7 May 2020

Staying Home: Day 52

Another busy day as I wanted to try to get our current freelance job finished as well as doing my half a day of archive work. Tomorrow is a Bank Holiday to commemorate the 75th anniversary of VE Day, and even though the local events planned have all been postponed until next year, I still wanted the luxury of a three day weekend. I pretty much managed to get it all done, though I still have to upload the second half of the freelance work (this can be annoyingly time consuming!).


I intended to take us on a shorter walk today, but again slightly underestimated the route (I am in charge of route planning as M would be the first to admit he has no sense of direction). It was shorter, but not by much - 3.5 miles instead of 4, with a loop around the canal and an old church. This  was the original parish church - the earliest part dates from the 12th century - but the town grew in the 19th century around the railway station and a more conveniently located new church was built, leaving this one pretty much disused. It is kept well maintained and a couple of services are held there every year. The tower was added in the 15th century.


Everything was very springlike. We saw lambs in the fields, a duck and ducklings swimming along the canal, and this nesting swan and her mate.


I love the reflection of the sky in the canal in this photo. 


I'm so pleased that I am feeling fit enough to manage longer walks - even a couple of weeks ago I couldn't have done two back to back. I know I'm not as fit as I should be after over three months of doing very little, but at least I am now going in the right direction.

H finally got her 12000 word dissertation submitted today. Well done her! TG is still chugging along with her school work. Working at home is working out well for her. She seems to enjoy the flexibility of working in her own time and at her own pace. She wanted me to read through a description of our town she had written in French, and it was very well done, with just a couple of tiny errors. She did a contemporary dance class, and I think both girls did a yoga class first thing in the morning.

H cooked pasta shells with pesto and pine nuts for dinner. Then we watched the first part of the first Harry Potter movie before TG went off to have a chat with her friends. As H is putting in extra hours on her uni work and M and I are going for longer walks our late afternoon movie time has slipped over the last week.

1 comment:

elli said...

What lovely swans!! And the church and graveyard .... A silver lining to sheltering at home is the daily walks, yes? The discovery of new, good routines ...