Tuesday 13 April 2021

New Normal


Yesterday was the most "normal" day I have had in a long time. M has been wanting to go swimming as he has been having what feels like a muscular problem with his back and he was hopeful swimming would help. Indoor pools opened for the first time since December, so we booked a morning swimming slot - I can't remember when I last swam, but it was certainly before the pandemic. M's back felt much better last night, so we are planning to go regularly. As a bonus, we ran into two friends at the pool who came back with us afterwards for a coffee and a catch up. 

In the afternoon I took TG to get her pointe shoes. We stopped off on the way to collect a couple of items I had ordered from Next, and had the novelty of going inside the shop to pick them up - they have been running a click and collect service with collection at the door which I have used a couple of times. We arrived at the dance shop a bit early for our appointment, but we were able to go straight in as they had finished with the previous person. I was extremely impressed with the time and trouble they took both in fitting the shoes and in making sure that her toes were padded in the most comfortable way. She has very long second toes, which they were very careful to make sure were well protected. After we got the shoes we treated ourselves to take away coffees.

Before they are used pointe shoes need to have the toes darned with thick cotton or protected with stick on suede pieces. When I tried the stick ons for one of the older girls it was a dismal failure, so I spent the evening chain stitching pointes. It is a fiddly job which has to be done with a curved needle, and my fingers are still sore from various pricks and scratches. I still need to sew on ribbons, but will do that tomorrow when my fingers have recovered a bit! At least the tough part of the job is done. 

TG went back to school today, which meant an early start as Tuesday is an early morning French day. I was back to my archive job today too. I am working tomorrow instead of Monday this week as I have a work commitment in the evening. TG then had two dance classes this evening, with a 45 minute gap between them. Normally she would wait at the studios between classes, but due to Covid precautions this isn't allowed at the moment so there was lots of chauffeuring involved. M kindly did it all as by evening the combination of waking early and staring at a screen all day had left me with a headache. 


2 comments:

elli said...

Pointe shoes, what a delight. She must be thrilled. (And oh, the memories of the sewing!! I danced as a girl and my mother never sewed my ribbons or points for me! Bless you).

How odd to hear of such normal(ish) days and errands. We are having terribly worrisome surges here, locally as well as other places. *sigh* (still awaiting an appointment for the vac, too: we're supposed to have a home-visit nurse come round for both of us, but haven't been able to schedule it yet).

Kathryn said...

January was terrible here, but since then things have improved dramatically. Case rates are now low and over 60% of adults have had at least one vaccine dose. Re-opening is happening gradually, but this week it has felt a significant change. We just have to hope the vaccine has done enough to stop cases rising too much as we open up.

I quite like hand sewing, but I always forget how awful pointe shoes are to sew until I have started! She is thrilled, but found her first class wearing them tough - the shoes will need a bit of time to break in.