Saturday 3 April 2021

Running on Empty

Today has been one of those days where I have been battling low energy levels, despite sleeping very well for the last two nights. I think I still haven't really caught up from a run of short nights before that, probably because I was subconsciously anxious about H's house move. Since I was ill last year, lack of sleep very quickly translates into lack of energy and feeling generally under the weather, and I often find it hard to know whether it is better to push myself to keep moving, or to slump in a heap on the sofa. Today I had booked an online yoga class for 9.30, so I started my day with that, occasionally opting out for a bit to lie on the mat or the sofa in a tired and grumpy heap. It felt as though my personal battery had run flat. 


After yoga I cut M's hair. I bought hair clippers just before the first lockdown started last year, which proved to be a very good call. H took on the task of hairdresser to start with, but once she got busy with work I took over clipping M's hair, though she has still been trimming mine for me. I read for a while, then made myself vegan cauliflower "cheese" for lunch - I am trying to get plenty of veggies in, and also to go back to eating mostly plant-based as I suspect that for me eating animal products contributes to stiff joints and muscles. After lunch H came round to use our internet as she still doesn't have any - she had various calls to make and things she needed to do online. M and I went out for a shortish walk, which I felt I should make the effort for even though I was still tired from the yoga class. I started off tired and grumpy, but (fortunately for M) the fresh air perked me up. When we got back I went out again, this time to the supermarket to pick up a few bits, including bread as passover is coming to an end. TG and I then watched the next Harry Potter movie, with a break to cook dinner - burgers (vegan for me, meat for M and TG), sweet potato wedges and sweetcorn. 


The photos are from a walk we went on a few days ago, which was a route we hadn't taken before. The archaeology report I am reading had some useful maps showing the historic boundary of our parish, which was described in detail in a 10th century charter. I wanted to walk a section of this ancient route which formed the southern boundary. The path in the top photo now runs alongside the road running round the outside of our housing estate, though separated from it by a hedge, and the lane in the bottom picture is the driveway for a farm. We won't repeat the walk as it involved crossing three very busy roads, but it satisfied my urge to walk in the footsteps of people who lived over 1000 years ago. 

3 comments:

elli said...

Perhaps there is something in the atmosphere for I have had an odd, exhausted, grumpy heap sort of a day as well ...! I do hope you are feeling better (and me too!) tomorrow — Easter! Already! ... it has been a long winter ...

Kathryn said...

Happy Easter! I hope you are feeling better today :)

elli said...

I am! He is risen, Alleluia!!

I think I was stricken with Holy Saturday acedia!

Blessings to you this glorious new season