Saturday 4 April 2020

Staying Home: Day 19

A lazy weekend day. I woke up at 5, went to sleep again at 7.30 and didn't get up until 10.30. H and I did a very short yoga video together (Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube). She is spending too much time sitting and getting back and neck ache, so we did yoga for neck and shoulders. It was the first yoga I have done since December, and a short, easy session felt good. The plan is to do a 20 minute lower back video tomorrow.

This week's veg box had wild garlic in it. It smells very garlicky and I wasn't sure what to do with it, so decided to follow the instructions on the bag to make pesto (which I have also never made before). I smushed the wild garlic with hazelnuts, olive oil and some nutritional yeast - it should have been parmesan, but neither H nor I normally eat dairy and we didn't have any non-dairy cheese, so I substituted the yeast flakes. I added olive oil until the texture felt about right, and H and I then ate some of the pesto with pasta for lunch; it was very garlicky but good. There is still plenty left for two more portions, and I only used about half the wild garlic.

Today's Disney movie was Wall-E which just confused all three of us. We never really got to grips with the plot or lack of dialogue. H has finished her Genoa painting, which is now up on the living room wall. I'll ask her permission to put a photo of it on here tomorrow. M and I went for our walk after the movie and H went for a run; TG was being a bit lazy again and didn't exercise. She has a couple of school tasks to finish, then two free weeks as the school will not be setting any work over the Easter break. When school starts again, the plan is for her year group to drop the subjects they won't be doing for GCSE (national exams taken at age 16), and just concentrate on English, maths, science and their chosen GCSE  subjects, which for TG will be geography and French, and probably catering, photography and extra science. One of the science teachers phoned soon after they shut down to say that the extra science option was oversubscribed and to warn us that as TG had put it 3rd on her list it was quite likely she would not get a place on the course. However, we were told we would get a follow up call if that was the case to confirm what reserve choice she wanted, and that no news would be good news. We haven't heard anything since, so it seems she may have squeaked into the course. Apparently the school will be sending out letters soon to confirm (or not?) which subjects they will be taking.

This evening after dinner (prawn tikka masala made by H) we had a family group chat with our eldest daughter, who has now been furloughed on full pay for the next month or so. She seems quite positive and has spent the last three days painting her garden fence. She has new garden furniture arriving tomorrow and has cleaned up the bbq, intending to make the most of what is forecast to be lovely spring weather over the next week or so. After that I started watching a video of the play One Man, Two Guv'nors, which has been made available on You Tube by the National Theatre for the weekend. It is very funny but also very long, so as I started a bit late I only watched Act I tonight and will watch Act II tomorrow.

No comments: