Wednesday 22 April 2020

Staying Home: Day 37

I have converted my two full days at the archives into four mornings at home, which definitely makes for a better routine. This week my archive mornings will be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, so I spent this morning getting on with two current freelance exam-setting jobs.

This week's fishbox had two packets of smoked salmon so lunch was a smoked salmon sandwich with some salad. I then finished off one of the sets of questions and attempted to make some bread. I only had wholemeal plain flour and didn't have the right size tin, so made what turned into a rather flat round loaf. Hopefully it will be edible and tide us over until H goes to the supermarket on Friday. Today's walk was a circuit round the woods, shorter and flatter than yesterday's exhausting effort - though as H (who is trying to improve her running) complains, there aren't any flat routes here. After the walk I spent a bit of time in the hammock in the garden reading. then we watched Alice Through the Looking Glass and I made a start on a new cross stitch kit which arrived this morning - a book mark with the William Morris strawberry their design. Jemima Puddleduck, who is proving to be something of a pain, has gone on the back burner.


We had confirmation from her school that TG has got places on all her first choice GCSE courses. From next week she will drop all other subjects and concentrate on her GCSE options. Usually the school has the Year 9s (equivalent to 8th Grade in the US) start their GCSE courses in June, so that they have a few weeks to ease into them before the end of the school year; due to the school closure they decided it would make sense to transition them into GCSE work a bit earlier. I imagine they are hoping partly to compensate for any missed work, and also to motivate the kids while they are studying at home by giving them a new focus. TG will be taking ten GCSEs altogether: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, French, Photography, and Hospitality & Catering (this last one is a vocational course rather than a GCSE, with lots of hands on cooking). Apart from dropping history (apparently the history gene is not hereditary!) it is a good mix, with a good spread of academic subjects, but also the photography and catering which are practical things that she enjoys.


Dinner tonight was ready meals from Marks and Spencers - yorkshire puddings filled with roast meat, potatoes and veg for M and TG, and vegan kievs with dirty fries for me and H. Lazy but tasty. After dinner we played Pictionary and scattergories for a while. I'm slightly bemused by how quickly the days are passing. There always seems to be more I want to do than I have time for. I feel I could easily fill several more hours in a day!

No comments: