Tuesday 12 January 2021

Learning Lessons

I only went for a short walk yesterday and none at all today, so no pictures to post today. I am three days in to my 21 day yoga challenge and hoping that this might be the worst day for aches and pains! I have definitely been using muscles that are unaccustomed to exercise. So far I am enjoying it. I like the live classes, knowing that other people are doing the same thing at the same time is companionable, even though I can't see or hear them. I like the teachers, and I like the variety of the challenge with different daily activities and classes, which is definitely motivating me. On the other hand, I don't like the aches and cramps which remind me that at I am at an age where if muscles aren't exercised they get very, very unhappy. I also don't like that I sometimes have to give in and take a rest, but ... slowly, slowly! Charging into it full tilt, overdoing it and giving up is not the way to go. 

I am adjusting to working full days on Mondays and Tuesdays. Yesterday was not good. It was cold and I was tired and wanted to hibernate, so I stayed in pyjamas and worked tucked up under blankets on the bed. Apart from a couple of short breaks I worked for six hours straight, working through lunch which M kindly bought me. Then I showered and dressed and was in a very bad mood. Tired, muzzy headed and thoroughly grumpy. We went for a walk and poor M had to tolerate a ten minute tirade on everything that was WRONG. Then the fresh air cleared my head, I got it out of my system and felt better. I came back and finished the day without further grumpiness, and loved doing my yoga challenge between finishing work and cooking dinner. Today was much better. A little late getting up and showered and ready to start, but I balanced the day much better with a proper lunch break, and another break mid-afternoon to prepare a beef stew and put it in the oven to cook slowly. I finished in time to do a one hour live yoga class at 6, and the dinner was ready to eat as soon as I finished. 

So, lessons learned this week (so far):
  • Regular yoga is good, even when it hurts. 
  • Working in pyjamas is bad.
  • Not taking breaks is bad.
  • Exercise to wind down after finishing work is good. 
You would think I would have learned these lessons long ago, but time management and self discipline are not my strong points. 

Not much else has happened over the past couple of days. The Covid news is mixed. Numbers of deaths are horribly high, but the number of cases seems now to be coming down and vaccinations have kicked up a gear. Our local health care trust has now set up a vaccine hub at the rugby club in town, which started operating yesterday. Poor H is suffering from a painful jaw. She doesn't think it is toothache, and may be related to a nasty mouth ulcer. I think she is planning to phone the 111 service tomorrow to see if they can sort out either a medical or dental appointment for her. I suspect she may need antibiotics. 

2 comments:

elli said...

Phew, it's hard, this strange C19 life! Prayers for H and her sore jaw, poor girl. Good for you with pushing on thru! For myself, not doing the daily stationary bike and yoga is emphatically not an option — some days I moan and grump but then go off to to fitness room anyhow .... Other days it is all sunshine and roses! Life, eh!?

🕯🙏🏻🕯

Kathryn said...

I'm afraid I am poor at establishing routines and very much a night owl rather than a lark, so getting a good morning routine is a struggle without external pressure. Getting up to take TG to school was good for me, and I am struggling to readjust now she is back to doing school at home!