Tuesday 26 January 2021

Pretty Food Day

Another working day - I am finding that doing two full days of archive work is working out well as far as time management goes, though I'm not convinced I get as much done as it is hard not to slow down in the afternoon. We went for a 30 minute walk at lunchtime, which it very much a good thing as it gives my eyes a rest from the laptop screen, my brain a bit of down time, and getting out into daylight helps my mood. TG, on the other hand, has turned into a troglodyte and rarely leaves the house - it's a good thing she has her Zoom dance classes, so she is at least getting a decent amount of exercise. She wanted an avocado today for a task for her catering course, so we insisted she go out and get it herself, though she managed to get M to drive her down to the shop rather than walk through the icy slush. The task was about presentation, and she wanted to make this avocado, cucumber and smoked salmon starter she found on Pinterest. Slightly to her surprise it came out looking very impressive. It tasted good too! 

After I finished work I prepared the dinner and then gave M instructions on what to put into the oven and when, so that I could do a live yoga class between 6 and 7pm and dinner would be ready when I finished. Today was fish box day and I hit lucky as it had salmon, which was what I was hoping for as I wanted to roast it with new potatoes. We also had other roast veg (courgettes, mushrooms and tomatoes) and the leftovers of some red cabbage I cooked on Sunday. After dinner we ate some of this chocolate box from my Hotel Chocolat trawl. It was half price as it was left over from Christmas stock. The chocolates were so pretty it almost seemed a shame to eat them.  


Covid news is mixed. The UK death toll hit 100,000 today, and there are still many, many people in hospital so it is not going to improve for a while yet. However, case numbers are falling steadily and vaccination numbers are rising - over 10% of the population have now had their first vaccination. Our local vaccination service is almost up to 5,000 jabs given, but I think is now waiting for more vaccine to arrive. Things are now definitely going in the right direction, it is just going to take a long time to arrive at the destination. 

No comments: