Tuesday 31 March 2020

Staying Home: Day 14

Yesterday evening I spiralled down into a tired, frustrated grump, so didn't get round to writing this blog. Why? I started work at 8.40 and finished at 6.30, admittedly with a three hour break in the middle, but it made it me feel that my whole day had being dominated by work. There are so many things I would like to do while I'm at home, and it seems I just don't have either the time or energy left for them.  I am ring fencing the daily Disney movie and making myself go out for a short walk, but by the evening I don't have the energy to do anything except slump on the sofa and watch TV for a while before going to bed. I'm not sure what the solution is - maybe not to work in split shifts? Yesterday I did archive work in the morning, then freelance work in the late afternoon, and I think that is why it felt such a long work day.


The positive bits of yesterday ... the Disney movie was Tangled, which I had actually never watched before. Teen Girl had it on DVD, but found it too scary (she was a very, very timid small girl!) and I think only watched it once or twice, either when I wasn't around or wasn't paying attention. After watching Tangled M and I went for a 20 minute walk, then came home and had afternoon tea with a proper tea pot and Victoria sponge cake I had made for his birthday. Teen Girl managed to score some self raising flour at Tesco Express yesterday - flour seems to be the current shortage item locally - so we will be able to bake more cakes when this one is gone. Dinner was Keralan fish curry for myself and H, made with some whiting from the fish box, while Teen Girl and M had breaded fish and oven chips.


I took this photo on our walk yesterday of the queuing system at Tesco Express (our local convenience store, which is a branch of one of the major UK supermarkets), carefully laid out on the path with tape and bags of salt to make sure everyone keeps the regulation socially distant 2 metres apart. It looks kind of odd when there is no queue! According to Teen Girl, they are only allowing four people in at a time.

Another problem yesterday was that the washing machine broke. Firstly clothes came out sopping wet, then I tried to check the drain and water came out of the bottom. After mopping that up, we tried a test run and more water leaked out. This all happened while I was trying to watch Tangled, so my relaxing time out became stressful. (I have only just now twigged that this was also a factor in my poor mood. Duh!) Fortunately our lovely washing machine repair man, who has been fixing them for us for well over twenty years, is able to come out today and will hopefully come up with a socially distant fix. Otherwise ... eek! 

So, onwards and upwards. Today will be better! 

2 comments:

elli said...

Yes, it's the 'ordinary' things which seem to be the most taxing just now, not the overarching theme of shelter at home (admittedly, I am on rather a different footing with it all, as I am homebound in any case) ... to wit: our bathtub tap (in the one bathroom) is leaking and is beyond our ability for home repair. I am putting off the call to the plumber as long as possible! Meanwhile we let a bucket fill, and pour it off into the toilet tank, thus keeping our water pull on the mains mostly steady (that is, the tank refills after a flush not from the mains, but because we fill it from the leak bucket). Babbling. Will stop now.

Hope today is better for you!

Kathryn said...

Thank you, today was better :). I sympathise with your tap. We have a toilet with a broken flush, so every time it is used we have to reset a seal at the bottom of the tank. I'd like to try to fix it myself, but am afraid I might end up with it not flushing at all!