Friday 20 March 2020

Staying Home: Day 4

I have now finished preparing to stay home for however long this takes. While the rest of the country has been stripping the supermarket shelves bare this week I have:
  • Sorted out enough work to keep me going for at least three months, including collecting the brass band archives
  • Collected H from university
  • Had the bath drain unblocked
  • Had my very neglected piano tuned for the first time in many years
  • Bought sunbeds
  • Bought a hair cutting set (clippers for M, scissors for the rest of us)
I'm not sure that is the most logical way to prepare, but it works for me. We were already pretty well stocked with food (and toilet paper!), and I get both a veg box and a fish box delivered regularly. 

Today was a full work-at-home day. Freelance work this morning, then archive work this afternoon - I did various oddments, including organising the assortment of digital files and images I brought home with me and uploading them to  Dropbox. I am now all set to get properly stuck into things on Monday. All staff with underlying medical conditions have now been formally instructed not to go into work and to work from home if at all possible, for an initial period of twelve weeks.  I filled in the relevant "social distancing" form online and had that approved, which means I am now officially staying home. 

H unpacked and had a clear out in her room, then had a two hour online class this afternoon. M cleaned the car, did some tidying up in the garden, went for a couple of short walks (one on his own and one with me) and picked up Teen Girl from school for the last time for a while. She came home loaded down with exercise books, and with a log in to a GCSE Pod website and the promise that they will be set work through a homework platform. Technically she has two weeks of this term left, so we shall wait and see how much work materialises. 

1 comment:

elli said...

I've just discovered you're writing up these daily notes — fantastic. Have enjoyed the read :-)

Very smart to get the hair-cutting gear!! Here in our US city the barber shops and salons have just been ordered shut. (I've always clipped my kids' hair, so we're set) ...