Wednesday 25 March 2020

Staying Home: Day 9

Today was a much better one. The sun shone, everyone was on an even keel, lots of constructive things got done, and fun happened.

I have decided that working two full days on my archive work is a bad plan, and that if I work four mornings it will mean I get into a much better routine. Freelance work can then be fitted around those four mornings as necessary. In any case we got the job we were working on submitted today and don't have anything else lined up so will get a bit of a break - in theory it shouldn't be affected by coronavirus, but the work never comes in evenly; sometimes we are crazy busy, sometimes we get quiet spells. Today M and I worked together to get the job finished, and I then moved on to archives, spending most of my time working on web pages. H had to give an online presentation this morning as part of the assessment for her Italian language course. Teen Girl did some school work.

We continued our Disney Plus binge with two movies today - Coco (which we hadn't seen before) after lunch, and the original Mary Poppins this evening. M, H and I went for a walk this afternoon, while Teen Girl stayed home and did a contemporary dance class which was  live streamed by one of her teachers. This evening our eldest daughter called for a family FaceTime chat which degenerated into hysterical laughter thanks to some interesting Animoji and people attempting to lick their own noses (one daughter was successful!). The Brass Band replaced its cancelled concert for tonight by getting people to send in video or audio clips of themselves playing something, on whatever instrument. I don't have much puff for the trombone still, so played Be Our Guest on the flute (on which I am very out of practice!)


While watching the films I made progress on my new knitting project - a weather scarf. The idea is that for each day I will knit two rows with the colour chosen according to the temperature. I am also mixing in a second, thinner yarn, which represents the weather - blue for rain, grey for cloud, yellow for sun, white for snow. It is my contribution to a project we are running at work, encouraging people to use archives to inspire textile art. My scarf is based on historic weather records from the 1980s that were recently deposited with us. I ran across a weather scarf on Twitter just after the records arrived, and had a lightbulb moment. Apparently weather blankets are also a thing. Time permitting, I want to do a second scarf based on last year's weather as a comparison to see if it comes out warmer. The picture above shows the scarf six days in, but by the time Mary Poppins finished I was half way through January. The blue and grey threads don't show up very much, but the yellow sunny days definitely give a different tone, as does the one snow day I've had so far. This is my colour chart - nine shades of double knitting for the temperatures (I am using units of 5 degrees centigrade) and four of fluffy lace weight for the weather.



No comments: