Tuesday 24 March 2020

Staying Home: Day 8

I panicked myself first thing this morning by looking at the Asthma UK website. It now has a list of medications which indicate that people are considered to be at such high risk of complications from coronavirus that they are being recommended to stay shielded at home for the next three months. The inhaler I use was on the list and I started to melt down at the prospect of having to live under so many restrictions for so long, mainly I think because it was an unexpected shock. Once I calmed down and looked again I realised that although my inhaler was indeed on the list, it was only at a higher dose, or if used as part of a heavier regime. Much relieved, I am now grateful to be just on the 'vulnerable' list, which means I can at least go out for a walk so long as I keep my distance from other people and don't have to keep everyone else in the house at arm's length. Despite the relief I still felt quite down, and I wasn't the only family member who had a moment today - I think a week in the situation was hitting us.

I spent most of today checking a batch of exam questions. I wanted to get to the end rather than leave part of the job until Thursday, so ended up finishing them off after dinner. Too long a day really, and there was no real reason for it as there isn't a tight deadline - I just wanted to get the job done and free up the back end of the week to do other things. The girls are still keeping up their study routine, and H had an online lecture this afternoon. Later on Teen Girl did an online workout, and H went for a run. M and I went for a mid-afternoon walk, quite a short one today as I was tired.

Part of the reason my work dragged on was because I took a break early in the afternoon to watch a movie with the girls. Today was the launch date for Disney Plus in the UK. I had bought a pre-launch subscription because we have a long list of movies we want to watch before we go to DisneyWorld in August - we hope! Our plan for the time being is to watch one a day, and we made a list at the weekend of our first ten. Today was supposed to be Finding Dory, but they changed their minds and wanted Monsters University instead. So much for the list.  While we watched I started a new knitting project. More on that tomorrow.


It was my turn to cook dinner, which was fresh fish from today's fish box - tusk, shallow fried in breadcrumbs with poppy seeds mixed in, with sweet potato fries, roasted courgettes (left from last weeks veg box) and peas, followed by watermelon. I am loving our fish box which I started ordering because M and I decided we should really eat more fish. It comes from Scotland, with fish caught sustainably by independent fishermen, all pre-prepared and ready to freeze. My order is for a medium sized box every two weeks. Now H is home I changed my settings to add an extra person, so they pack the fish in sets of four portions rather than three. The contents vary according to what has been caught and includes a much wider variety of fish than the supermarkets stock, which has successfully pushed us out of our comfort zone. You can mark on the website which fish you are happy to try and which you don't want. Today we got two packs of mackerel, salmon, and the tusk. 

3 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, Kathryn, I'm sorry about the panic re. the medications and the three months at home. It's all pretty nerve-wracking (going through it with my daughter who has asthma and another condition.) It's hard to know what to do some days.

On the upside, your fish box sounds delicious. :)

xo

elli said...

What a blessing you all are able to be together, and that you've got what sounds like a nice amount of work/activities to keep all occupied, separately and together ... Yes, we three all have asthma, plus my 18yo and I have conditions that leave us immunosuppressed, plus my 20yo daughter being vulnerable due to recovering from a major piece of surgery (so she needs to take extra special care of her health the first full year post-op. Half way thru that year now) ... So we are all tucked in for who knows how long .... It's all such a lot to take in, the entire C19 situation. Doing my best to breathe and pray my way thru ...

Kathryn said...

We are fortunate in that our health concerns are relatively minor - my asthma is the worst of it, as it makes me very prone to chest infections - and we are able to stay home without any difficulty. Our 21 year old is able to do all the shopping for us, and she is very careful to observe all the hygiene instructions. It is such a stressful situation for so many people.