Wednesday 8 April 2020

Staying Home: Day 23

Today was very much of a repeat of yesterday - same routine, although I got a bit bogged down with my work this morning, so my mid-morning yoga break became a very late-morning yoga break, but I still managed a 15 minute flexibility session. H is procrastinating over her work as she has very little left to do and is a long way ahead of her deadlines. Procrastinating seems to mostly involve online shopping and researching puppies (she wants to get a dog as soon as she gets her own place). I realised I forgot to post a photo of the painting she finished at the weekend, so here (with her permission) is her picture of Boccadasse in Genoa.


M and I went for another walk around the woods this afternoon, taking a similar but slightly longer route. The hawthorn blossom is out everywhere, including this tall boundary hedge.


Although this part of the woodland was only planted relatively recently, it is a historic site. Part of the boundary - although I'm not sure if it includes this hedge or just the previous section - runs along the ancient parish boundary which was set out in a charter dating from 966, when King Edgar gave the land to his brother's widow, Elgiva. This charter also mentions seven burial mounds on the heathland that used to cover this area, but whatever had survived was flattened when the land was ploughed in the late 19th century. Just past the hawthorn hedge I also noticed this section of ditch, which looks to me as though it may also be part of an old boundary.


After watching our Disney Movie - Ralph Wrecks the Internet - we watched the second episode of The Imagineers, a documentary series on Disney Plus about the history of the various Disney Parks. It was my turn to cook dinner today, which was shallow fried fish fillets with spanish style potatoes and purple sprouting broccoli. While we watched Ralph, M had video chats with two sets of friends.

No comments: