Monday 13 April 2020

Staying Home: Day 28

I woke in the early hours and spiralled into anxiety about how we will ever escape from Covid lockdowns, shut downs and economic depression. Fortunately the logical side of my brain managed to remind the stressed side that things always look worse in the middle of the night, and I distracted myself by thinking of quiz questions We are planning a Zoom quiz night with some band friends on Wednesday, each writing a set of 10 questions on a subject of our own choice. I picked history, then realised just how hard it is to pitch the level when you know more than most about the topic. Hopefully what I have come up with will work - favouring those with some historical knowledge, but still allowing the clueless to make a reasonable guess!


Even without any work to do the days seem to go by quite fast, and I am enjoying a slow and leisurely start without feeling there is something I ought to be doing. I got back to my short yoga sessions again today with 15 minutes of flexibility this morning. H made blueberry muffins with the last egg and some frozen blueberries. TG took an online jazz dance class on Zoom. Her dance school are planning to start a full timetable of online classes next week, and are offering a few free classes this week as a trial, so that both teachers and kids can get used to the technology. There will be some adult dance and fitness classes too, and if I had more energy I might have opted in to the fitness classes. Not an option currently.


We watched Cars, which I remember watching with R and H in the onboard cinema on a car ferry to Normandy - H was 7, so this must have been over 14 years ago. Not surprisingly I couldn't remember anything about the plot, and she didn't remember it at all. I had low expectations but rather liked it. I watched an episode of Our Girl (drama about a female soldier-medic in Afghanistan) with M, and another episode of The Imagineers with H. I added a little more to the weather scarf, and crocheted some more flowers. The weather was cold but dry, so fine for our walk but not a day for sitting in the garden. Dinner was mackerel with mashed garlicky butternut squash, kale and potato wedges. We now have a Great Fruit Shortage, having eaten every piece of fruit in the house except for some green bananas which was all TG could find at Tesco Express. H is going to do a supermarket shop tomorrow, so hopefully we will be able to stock up. We all tend to eat a lot of fruit, and TG is going through apple withdrawal (she is rationed to no more than two a day or I am afraid she would eat them by the bag full!)

The pictures are from yesterday's walk. The mossy tree roots and the large fungus just above the bluebells both caught my attention. 

No comments: