Thursday 30 April 2020

Staying Home: Day 45

I meant to post a picture of yesterday's delicious prawn massaman curry but forgot, so here it is a bit late ...


Dinner today was beef and mushroom pie from the freezer, with mashed potato, a few left over green beans, sweetcorn and gravy - one of two pies H cooked  a couple of weeks ago. 

Again, we all worked this morning. H and TG went to Tesco Express before they started to top up basics like bread, fruit, milk and soya milk. For the first time in a while I didn't go out at all today. This afternoon it was very wet and miserable, the sort of whether that never does my chest good, so I left M to go for a walk on his own. He took a pair of socks I had knitted round to my brother, who only lives a couple of streets away, as a lockdown gift. They had a socially distanced chat while M stood at the end of the drive in the rain. T is on his own, but seems in fairly good spirits; he has bought himself a bike and is enjoying using that for exercise. M got home very damp and needed a hot bath to warm up. He is feeling fine now, but H is a bit under the weather. No Covid symptoms, mainly feeling more tired than usual - she seems to be generally more tired than she should be, and has a couple of other symptoms that make me think she may be anaemic. Once the lockdown is eased and non-urgent blood tests are available again I think a trip to the doctor is in order. 


I'm making progress on my William Morris strawberry thief bookmark. You can see one strawberry left of centre, and the outline of a bird is beginning to emerge. It is going to be quite a large bookmark, I think! It has reminded me that I wanted to know more about William Morris, so I have started reading a biography. Written by Fiona McCarthy, it won the Wolfson History Prize and has been described as "one of the finest biographies ever published". At 800 pages it may take me a while to finish! Today I sewed while we watched Maleficent and a couple of TV programmes. I also knitted part of the sleeve of a jumper (sweater) I am knitting for TG. I've been working on it for a while but keep getting distracted by other projects. The sleeves are just stocking stitch so easy to knit while I read. 

It's raining again as I type. Since Sunday it has gone from summer back to winter and we have turned the heating back on. Even I - a non-gardener and a sun lover - can admit that we needed some rain, but I'm glad it is forecast to brighten up again tomorrow. 

Finally, we remembered to go outside at 8pm to join in the general applause for our health and care workers. The "Clap for the NHS" on Thursday evenings seems to get louder and more enthusiastic each week. I love that this came about thanks to a single person putting a suggestion out on social media during the first week of lockdown. 

No comments: