Sunday 15 November 2020

Staying Home Part 2: Day 11

The day started with a torrential downpour and swirling winds - apparently quite a few fences locally came down. By late morning it had cleared so we were able to go out for walks in the early afternoon. H went out for a walk down the canal with her BF and came back with glowing red, sore little toes from wearing new(ish) trainers which rubbed. M and I went for a walk round the local streets, where even some of the pavements were squelchy and muddy; we went into Tesco Express on the way back for bread and soya milk, and I bought some sausage roll flavoured crisps to try. TG was only barely functional today after last night's virtual sleepover, which meant not enough sleep happened. 

I didn't take any photos today, but my phone chose this one for me. It was taken exactly a year ago in Milton Keynes shopping centre - we must have gone to do some Christmas shopping and to see the decorations. Since the latest iOS update the photos app has started selecting a few photos each day and showing them on a widget on my home screen. It is also making "Memories" videos from a selection of photos from a particular date or event, or a series of portraits of an individual - some of these have been lovely, like the Disneyland Paris firework display it put together for me yesterday. 

I caught up on a few jobs this morning, including phoning Disney to change the date of our trip to Disneyland Paris next year. We had booked for February, but that was looking less and less feasible thanks to Covid, and in any case clashes with H's busy season at work. We have now switched it to early September, just before TG goes back to school. I was on the phone for quite a while, not because it was complicated, but because I ended up having a nice conversation with the lady in Florida who dealt with the booking - we ended up drifting off into chatting about our families, our travel plans (cancelled and future), and how Covid was affecting our lives. Although the call switches through to the US it is directed via a local number so no nasty phone charges to worry about! 

H is enjoying having time to do some cooking again, so she cooked roast lamb for dinner. M and I watched the first episode of the new series of the Crown, then H gave him a haircut. She and I spent a bit of time going through paperwork for her house purchase which came through yesterday. After dinner I read for a while and we watched a bit more TV (Strictly results show and another episode of Michael Palin's journey through the Himalayas). I did quite a bit of knitting during the afternoon and evening and almost managed a whole fingerless glove - just a few rows of the hand and the thumb left to do. I'm a very unfocused crafter and currently have three knitting projects and three cross stitch projects on the go simultaneously. Four out of the six are Christmas presents, but it doesn't matter what order I do them in; so long as I keep making progress I can just pick up whichever suits the mood of the moment.

1 comment:

elli said...

Isn't it funny how we can fall into such comfortable chats with strangers? Lovely, really :-) .... hoping and praying, indeed, that by next September life with C19 will be much.more.manageable...!!