Friday 6 November 2020

Staying Home Part 2: Day 2

With TG at school and H going out to sit her exam this morning, this really doesn't feel very much of a lockdown. H says she isn't sure how it went, but she will get the result in the morning so doesn't have too long to worry about it - a lot quicker than the US election results! I keep checking on the progress of the count, and Biden is now ahead in enough states to win comfortably. I am very relieved that this looks like the end of the Trump presidency, and hoping it will be the beginning of a move back to calmer, less polarised politics - not just for America but also for other countries, including ours.  


I experimented today with switching on the climate control in the car remotely. It was a frosty morning, but all the windows were defrosted and the inside of the car cosy when we left for school. In fact, the windows defrosted incredibly quickly - M had to run out and move the car about 3 minutes after I turned it on so that H could get hers out and it was already done. I also discovered last week that we have a heated steering wheel as well as heated seats. This is all going to make early starts in the winter so much nicer! Pre-heating is definitely another big plus for electric cars. This morning I turned it on using an app on my phone, but there is also an option to set a timer in the car. We now love the electric car even more than we did already, and can't imagine ever going back to a car with a traditional engine. 

TG and I are enjoying our morning journeys to school. After driving through town for the first couple of weeks, battling traffic and worrying about erratic pedestrians (a lot of kids walk to school and don't always  watch as well as they might), we started driving a longer way round. Most of this route is through countryside and woods, which often look glorious in the early morning light. This morning we admired the effect of a light early morning mist, while listening to her Christmas playlist in our nice warm car. Yes, I know it is only early November, but Christmas is one of her big loves - up there with Disney, Glee, food and dance, she told me this morning. 


M and I were both busy working for most of the day. I took a break between jobs to make a large batch of vegetable soup for lunch, and we went out for a 40 minute walk before M went to collect TG from school. We avoided mud this time. After she got home, H went back to studying for the next exam on Monday. M went out to get fish and chips for dinner - takeaways are still allowed to open - and we watched a game show on TV for a while before she went back to study some more. I forgot to take my phone out with me today, so the photos are both from yesterday. The sun glowing through the fog was what made me stop and get out of the car to try to capture it, and this was one of the non-muddy stretches of path in the woods. 

 

1 comment:

elli said...

Oh glorious day, Biden is in. Ooh the relief, and joy. **phew** What a week —- what a four years!

Glad to hear the electric car is working out so nicely :-)