Tuesday 10 November 2020

Staying Home Part 2: Day 6

The day started with a pleasant surprise - I completely forgot I had set the climate control timer on the car for Tuesdays and Thursdays, when we have to set off for school early as TG has French classes. It took me a minute or two to work out why the steering wheel was warm and the car was cosy! It wasn't a particularly cold morning, so I hadn't thought about pre-heating. The second happy moment of the morning (though less of a surprise) was getting home to find that H had smashed exam number four with a very high pass mark. 


Lots of work again today. This morning I did archives work while M wrote questions; this afternoon I worked on the questions, and this evening he is doing a 111 shift. We fitted in a 40 minute pavement walk where I spotted these lovely autumn leaves and berries and these much less seasonal red roses still in bloom. H had training sessions for her exam on Friday, and TG was at school followed by a Zoom dance class. 

H is beginning to feel under less time pressure so volunteered to make rice bowls with a prawn teriyaki stir fry for dinner. I think I have only cooked once in the last five days, which has been a luxury - with H working so hard I have been responsible for almost all the catering for the past couple of months. After dinner we watched dessert week on Great British Bake Off, where they produced some extraordinary jelly / cake creations. 

This has felt such a cheering week with Biden winning the US election and the good news that the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine has performed so well in tests. There seems a real possibility that some people may get vaccines before Christmas, and that it will be rolled out widely in the new year. With other vaccines also in Stage 3 trials it may well be that there will soon be other options available too. I am really beginning to hope that we are reaching a turning point. 

No comments: