Monday 16 November 2020

Staying Home Part 2: Day 12

I got up a bit earlier than normal this morning, then because I thought I had plenty of time I moved slower and distracted myself so that I was barely ready on time to take TG to school. This is a typical pattern for me - if time is tight, I focus and move fast and am just about ready on time; if I give myself lots of time, I slow down and end up ready no quicker than if I rush, and sometimes even end up later. When I got back, i just had time to make myself porridge for breakfast before our 9am weekly staff meeting. One colleague is having problems with band width, so we are now doing audio only (no video) to help her. That meant I could shamelessly eat my porridge during the meeting. 

I did a longer than necessary stint on my archive work, which means I can do a bit less tomorrow and finish off the current question writing job. I did part of that this afternoon and finished work just as M went to collect TG from school. By that time it was very dull and unappealing outside, so I decided to be lazy and opt out of going for a walk. Today's photos are pictures I took a couple of weeks ago on a much nicer afternoon when we walked into town for coffee, but didn't get round to posting at the time. Above is the 15th century market cross, and below is the old town hall, later used as a fire station, and now a Pizza Express restaurant. 


I decided that the fingerless mitt I almost finished yesterday had come out a bit small. I am using a pattern meant for aran / worsted yarn with sock yarn. I though knitting a large size might compensate enough but it didn't, so I unravelled almost the entire mitt back to a decrease round at the cuff and decreased less to give myself five extra stitches. I think that should be just right. I have now redone the wrist section and am about to start increasing stitches for the thumb. While knitting I watched the remaining episode of Michael Palin's Himalaya with M, then an episode of the Mandalorian. I have also been reading more of the Ancient History of Britain. I am finding the sections about the mesolithic and neolithic periods fascinating, as I knew so very little about them, even though I have always enjoyed visiting ancient sites like Stonehenge. 

Dinner was frozen potato wedges with whiting from the last fishbox, squeezed in between TG finishing her dance class and H starting an online quiz night with her work colleagues. M and I watched tonight's Only Connect quiz, and then I spent a while sorting out his phone for him. It had somehow stuck in dark mode, which he never uses and doesn't like, and I ended up having to reset all the phone settings, then reset things like Face ID and Apple Pay. Hopefully it is all working properly again now. 


No comments: