Thursday 19 November 2020

Staying Home Part 2: Day 15

I took today off from archive work, thinking we could go out this morning but the weather forecast was unreliable again and it turned out to be wet and nasty. Instead of going out we ended up watching some more episodes of the new series of The Crown. Fortunately the rain cleared at lunchtime and we went for a longer walk down to the canal and back - four miles altogether. By that time it was beautifully bright and sunny. 


When we got back I had a craving for something sweet, so made a mini batch of scones while M went to get TG from school - just one for each of us (they don't keep well, so I didn't want to make extra). I had mine with some no-sugar blueberry preserve. 


Remember the swan family from the spring and summer? Here they are with the babies fully grown but still with their juvenile feathers. There were originally five cygnets, but (if local Facebook is to be believed) two got injured in the summer and were taken to a swan rescue centre. 

This evening I had a band committee meeting on Zoom, doing succession planning for when our secretary moves away in the new year. It was quite long. I'm now going to relax and recover by watching a documentary series about Scottish islands. Both the book I am reading and the audio book I am listening to have been talking about Shetland and Orkney, which has inspired me to start planning (semi-hypothetically) a trip at some unspecified date in the future. I had already been hoping to visit Shetland, and now very much want to include Orkney too. Fun fact for the day: the shortest scheduled flight in the world is between two Orkney islands, Westray and Papa Westray. It takes two minutes! 

No comments: