Tuesday 5 May 2020

Staying Home: Day 50

Day 50. When I started this blog, I had in my mind that I would likely be at home for 100 days. I'm not sure whether that was optimistic or pessimistic, but if I was anywhere close that means I am half way through this phase. Personally I'm doing well, and quite content in my home bubble. Sadly, this country as a whole isn't doing well. Not only is there a high death rate from Covid - mercifully now falling - but there doesn't seem to be any ambition to beat this thing, simply to keep it in check and stop it overwhelming the medical services. So many other countries are doing so much better, and will clearly be able to return to normal life (or something like it) long before we are anywhere close to doing so here. I'm afraid that the level of competence in our current government is pretty low, and I fear that the next few months will not go well. I hope I'm wrong. I also hope that the vaccine being tested by scientists at Oxford proves both successful and safe. We desperately need it.


On a more cheerful note, I was more organised today and as a result got as much work done but finished an hour earlier. I tackled the current batch of questions first as they are particularly tough to work on and need a fresh brain. Nearly through them, fortunately. Then I took a lunch break in the middle of my archive work, but kept it shorter. M and I went for a longer walk today, round a three mile circuit which I think is my favourite local walk. A large part of it is through countryside, and it doesn't have any steep sections. H and TG also went for a walk, then TG had both a ballet class and a Zoom theatre group session - they did games and improv, and she enjoyed it. M hasn't had any work to do so far this week, so has been busy setting questions for a Zoom quiz with band friends on Friday.

We didn't watch a movie today as we ran out of time. H is working quite long hours as she has both an exam and her essay deadline in two weeks. After that she will only have two exams left, and as both are now going to be open book she feels quite comfortable about them and will be able to ease up a bit. I made salmon fishcakes for dinner as salmon came in the fish box, then after dinner we played Uno and scattergories for a while.

1 comment:

elli said...

I have similar concerns, from across the ocean, re: governmental incompetency and how the next few months will unfold, here in the US ...sigh... Praying, and praying some more.