Saturday 16 May 2020

Staying Home: Day 61

I enjoyed the luxury of a work and commitment free Saturday again today. I definitely need to work out how to have more free days once life gets back to something approaching normal and business kicks in again. This morning I read and knitted for a while. I'm still reading a giant biography of William Morris. It will take me some time to get through it, but I'm finding it worth the effort. Then I spent some time photographing documents and genealogy notes relating to my grandfather to share with a newly discovered cousin.


After lunch we went for one of our longer walks, back past the old church. This time we cut through the churchyard so I was able to get a photograph from up close. I also took some photos in the graveyard. I have always liked this stone carving of an anchor. I wonder why it was added to this memorial? Was there a connection with the sea? It would be surprising if there was as we live about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in the UK.


We then walked down through some different woodland, before turning across through the water meadows to get back to the canal, and then through our usual woods back home. I think we did just under 4 miles altogether. Although we can now drive places to walk, I don't want to lose the habit of walking locally most of the time.


M baked a madeira cake this morning and H baked brownies this afternoon, so when we got back from our walk we had cake and brownie. Then we finished watching HP and the Order of the Phoenix and watched an old episode of Grand Designs. H cooked prawn curry for dinner for the two of us, while M and TG had chicken in breadcrumbs and oven chips.


I am not the only one enjoying lazy Saturdays. TG settled herself on the sofa this afternoon and announced that she loves Saturdays, because she doesn't have to do anything. We pointed out she had just done an online dance class, but that apparently didn't count because it was fun! This evening we tried to do a bit of online shopping to replace various battered and tatty bits and pieces in the kitchen, but ended up at cross-purposes so haven't yet ordered anything. 

No comments: