Friday 22 May 2020

Staying Home: Day 67

Today's happy surprise was a phone call late this afternoon from the garage to say the little car was fixed. M went and collected it, so H is now mobile. She can now take herself shopping, and will be able to go and collect her remaining stuff from her uni house next month. 


I spent a lot of time working as I wanted to get the current freelance job finished today so that I would have the long weekend, including Monday's bank holiday, free. There also seemed to be more archives emails today than usual, so that felt busy. While looking for something else yesterday I stumbled across a webinar about historic maps and a workshop on online engagement which both look useful, and have now booked to attend those over the next couple of weeks, both via Zoom. 


I don't normally like taking a long break and then going back to work, but decided today that would be better than working right through as both my eyes and my brain needed a rest. That meant we went for our walk after lunch. We did another three miles, this time through the woods down to the canal, along the towpath, and back up through the town. There is a lock on this stretch of the canal, and we passed it just as a boat was going through. The photos show it sinking lower and lower as the water ran out of the lock. We admired a pirate flag flying from one of the moored boats and ended up in a conversation with the boat owner. She took early retirement 18 months ago and has been living on a boat ever since, earning money by selling hand-made craft items at canal events. I love hearing about unusual lifestyles, and she certainly seemed to be enjoying hers. 


When we got home I went back to work until six o'clock. Then it was my turn to make dinner - oven baked sea trout with a asparagus, leek and a coconut sauce, served with rice. The recipe came with the fish box, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. After dinner M and I went through the latest batch of questions and agreed our final version, then the girls and I watched the second half of the final Harry Potter movie. I'm not sure what we will be moving on to next. Maybe the Marvel movies on Disney Plus. 


Next week is TG's half term break, and she is keen to work on learning a musical instrument. She initially wanted me to teach her piano, but I think has now settled on guitar. Mine is really a bit too large for her hands, though I was startled the other day to realise they are now almost as big as mine - she has always had tiny hands. Even so, I think it would be hard for her to learn on, so I'm leaning towards buying her a 3/4 size to start on. She has played a bit in music lessons at school and enjoyed it. One of her regrets about starting her GCSE subjects is that she no longer gets music and drama at school. Once it starts up again she will still get drama through the her youth theatre group, but she is sad to miss out on music so really wants to do some at home. 

H is also in creative mode and has started work on a painting for TG, based on her favourite Disney film, Ratatouille. Meanwhile, I have nearly finished my Strawberry Thief cross stitch bookmark. For some reason I am in the mood for cross stitch but not so much knitting and crochet (this may be because I am procrastinating over sewing up TG's jumper - not my favourite task!). 

No comments: