Thursday 14 May 2020

Staying Home: Day 59

I was incredibly impressed to get my Covid test result through this morning - negative, I'm pleased to say (which is what I expected). I got the test in the same town as one of the large testing labs, so that may have speeded things up. Still, test at 3pm yesterday, result emailed and texted by 11am this morning is pretty good.

I enjoyed a lazy morning with a soak in the bath, time to read, and then some time out in the garden in the hammock doing family history research on my laptop. It was a cold morning, but I wrapped up in a warm jumper and woolly socks, and took a blanket out with me. When the sun came out it was very pleasant, but definitely chilly whenever it disappeared behind a cloud. After lunch I went back out there for a while and listed to an Audible book while working on my cross stitch.


We took advantage of the slight relaxation of the lockdown rules which now allow us to drive somewhere for a walk. We only drove a mile down to the lake and nature reserve, but it meant we could walk a bit further along the canal. Judging by the number of cars there, quite a few people had the same idea. There were also a lot of fishermen, both by the lake and by the canal. I loved this cheerful exhortation by the side of the canal.


This duck was enjoying the sun on the canal bank. I also spotted a heron, but he flew over to the other bank and I didn't get a very good picture.


We walked as far as this tiny medieval church. It closed in 1971 and is now a private house. Our total walk was just over three miles - adding the extra mile each way to where we parked the car would have been pushing myself too far, which is why we drove there. I was much less tired when we got home today than I was when we got home from our walk on Tuesday, so I think my energy levels are improving again. 


H has finally made it through the essay that has been torturing her for the last two or three weeks. She has an oral exam next Wednesday, and once that is over she will be able to relax a bit. TG has been working hard on her latest photography project - 25 photos of the same item, varying angles, lighting and so on, then editing and critically analysing three of them. Today's movie was the second half of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and dinner was white fish (pollock) with crushed garlic potatoes, courgette and tenderstem broccoli, with cheesecake for dessert (H bought some dairy free individual cheesecakes when she went into Tesco yesterday to pick up prescriptions). 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoying your blog, Kathryn. I have a friend working in the lab, so will pass your positive feedback on the speed off turnaround back to him. I know he is staying in a hotel locally, as the shifts are too long to travel from home on the outskirts of Leicester. Hilary

Kathryn said...

I'm glad you are enjoying it! M said he had pointed you here. I was definitely impressed with the test service, so please do pass on the positive feedback.