Saturday 30 May 2020

Staying Home: Day 75


We switched things round today as it is the weekend and went for our daily walk in the morning, before it got too hot. I took a short detour down to the canal bank to take a photograph of the now-deserted swan's nest (bottom right), which has been colonised by ducks. Today's circuit was a bit longer, nearly four miles, and took us down through the woods, along a section of road and then through fields and a woodland path to the water meadows and the River Ouzel. The photo below is another view from the canal bank, and the bottom one is the River and water meadows.


I spent much of the afternoon in the garden again, reading and knitting a sock - I wanted a small project that I could work on outside, and I can knit and read simultaneously. I also spend an hour on a writing project I started last year. I have been researching the lives of three women - two sisters and a friend (or, far more likely, partner of one of the sisters) - who all served as ambulance drivers and medical orderlies in the First World War. I'm hoping that if I keep at it, some day it will turn into a book, but this was the first time I had written anything since last December. The horrible recurring non-Covid (I presume!) virus that dragged me down for the first four months of the year meant that I spent most of my time slumped on the sofa in a brain fog. Since I started feeling better I have been full of good intentions about getting back to this and another project I have on the go, but I have been procrastinating. Now I have managed to actually open the file and write something, I'm hoping that will give me some momentum.


The girls both spent some of the day out in the garden. H went for a run this morning, and although her calf muscles ache she seems to have got past the problem she was having with shin splints. TG did a dance workshop while we were out on our walk. I decided to try to start getting back to doing regular yoga again. H persuaded me to download a fitness app she and R are both using (FiiT) and try a class from that. I did a 25 minute stretching class as I know my muscles are much tighter than they should be due to the almost complete lack of yoga for the past five months. I did manage a few short yoga sessions early in the lockdown, but had an energy slump and never got back to it. M asked me while we were walking today if I thought I was back to 100% - my answer was that I thought so, but the last time I thought so the viral / post-viral thing made a minor come back and I ended up having a Covid test. I'm hoping that this time I really am back to normal and can start pushing myself to exercise a bit more without draining my energy levels. 

We split for dinner tonight. M and TG had fish in breadcrumbs and oven chips, which H and I had bombay potato curry with chickpeas and spinach. Three of us then watched a Louis Theroux episode on Netflix, while TG carried on with a series binge of her own. 

No comments: