Monday 1 June 2020

Staying Home; Day 77

Work again this morning. I spent the first half an hour doing a short job for M so that he could send in some work, then a couple of hours on archives. I stopped about 11.40, did a 25 minute yoga class, then ate lunch before going back to work until 2.30. I always used to do yoga first thing in the morning, but I find I am spending too long staring at a screen without a break, so stopping for a yoga class after working for a while may be a better option at the moment. The problem is that I am not very self-disciplined about getting back to work once I stop. 


After I finished work I spent an hour or so in the garden reading, knitting and on the Duolingo app. I have used Duolingo before, but never consistently and I am a terrible dilettante when it comes to languages, flitting from one to another without mastering anything. Today I did a bit of Welsh (complete beginner) and Greek (I speak some Greek and know all the basics but can't manage much in the way of conversation). 


We went for one of our longer walks today, a bit over four miles. We had done the same loop before but today did it in the opposite direction, walking through town with a section along a riverside walk, then across farmland and through the water meadows before heading home through the woods. Over an hour and a half of walking on top of the yoga this morning makes it much the most exercise I have done in a single day for months. Unfortunately I compensated by eating rather a lot of cake. H's boyfriend has now moved in with us for the time being. His family have been as isolated as ours, and it seemed the safest point for him to transfer from their bubble to ours. He is working from home, but various of his family members will be starting to return to work this week. Yesterday was his birthday and H had made a rather spectacular chocolate cake. H spent some time in the garden, worked on a painting, exercised, and assembled the BBQ she bought when she went shopping at Homebase last week.  


Some children went back to school today, but TG's year is not one of those due to return so she started school at home again. She was a bit frustrated as tasks were being added to the homework app at different times during the morning. As she was efficient and got started early she kept thinking she had finished, only to find there was more to do. She also has her first two video classes booked in for later in the week, using Teams - a chemistry class on Wednesday and a geography class on Thursday. A couple of sets of printed geography worksheets arrived for her in the post, presumably to make sure everybody has them whether or not they have access to a printer. I also had a nice arrival in the post - a pamper package from a friend. 

3 comments:

elli said...

How lovely you are able to expand your home-family bubble a bit :-) I and my two are yet encircled alone, we so wish we could bubble with my parents! This has been very difficult for us five, as we are quite close with my parents. But, my stepfather is a medical professional, employed at a hospital. So he and my mother are on their own, as we are.

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn said...

Oh, that is so hard! We are just lucky that all of us have been very isolated. I think it will be quite some time before we are able to see anyone else except outdoors with social distancing.