Wednesday 3 June 2020

Staying Home: Day 79

This afternoon M and I went on our excursion to Waddesdon Manor. The weather broke today and the sunshine turned into cloud and occasional light showers, which we mostly managed to dodge. Although we are lucky enough to have nice walks we can take from home, it was lovely to be able to go somewhere different, and to have a taste of near-normality. Only the grounds were open, not the house, but it all felt very well organised and safe. We took a picnic lunch with us, though it turned out there was a take-away cafe open if we had wanted to buy lunch (one in / one out, contactless payment only). Not the ideal weather for a picnic, but still good to eat "out" for a change.


This morning I wrote up notes from yesterday's online workshop to share with colleagues, then started thinking about how to set up an interactive map to work with our website. I have done odd bits of programming in the past and tackled a similar project a few years ago, but have more or less completely forgotten what I learned then. Today I managed to get as far as getting a personalised key from Google that will allow me to work with Google maps. I have ideas at the back of my mind for some other mapping projects so plan to immerse myself in maps and javascript for the next week or so, which may or may not end up with something workable.


TG had her first online class on Teams today. Apparently the tech worked ok but she wasn't very forthcoming about the actual class! H had a routine medical appointment this morning, then went to Tesco Express to pick up a few bits that either got forgotten from the Waitrose online order, or were out of stock.


I was the family chef tonight and cooked torbay sole from the fish box, with new potatoes, broad beans, courgette and sweetcorn. The fish box is working very well for us, forcing us all to be more adventurous with fish and to eat more of it. The sole went down well with everyone.


After dinner H's boyfriend went upstairs to play Xbox with some friends (apparently this is a regular Wednesday night thing), while H, TG and I watched the second half of the first Star Wars movie. After that M and I watched the second episode of A House Through Time, despite slight frustrations as the wifi kept cutting out while we were streaming it on catch up.

No comments: