Tuesday 9 June 2020

Staying Home: Day 85

I am so tired tonight! I impulsively joined H for a Fiit exercise class before lunch, the first time I have done anything other than yoga or walking for at least six months. I managed to hang in and complete each set of exercises, but I'm now paying for it. Various muscles are complaining loudly, and I'm moving like an old lady of 80.


After I finished work this afternoon M and I went for a three mile circuit down to the canal, along the tow path, and back up through the woods. Most of the last mile is uphill, and that added another layer of muscle stiffness. According to my Watch I burned over 870 active calories today, which should at least help to offset the birthday cake and last night's Nandos. We were amused on our walk by these ducks lined up along the canal bank. They split neatly into two groups - those who have got the social distancing message and those who haven't!


I loved this cheerfully decorated boat. There were lots of hama bead rainbows hanging in the windows, which reminded us of how much R and H used to love hama beads when they were children. Although TG did use them sometimes, I don't remember her ever being as enthusiastic. I think we still have a load in the garage. I may fish them out as a therapeutic lockdown activity!


We had a grocery delivery from Waitrose today. The online receipt showed they had missed a pack of lamb steaks we needed for dinner, so M phoned to ask if they could manage to add them in before the driver left to deliver. He had already set off, so they got another driver who had a shorter run to drop them off with us. When our other shopping arrived, it turned out they had included the lamb after all, but had missed it off the receipt! Big, big brownie points to them for being so helpful, even if it turned out to have been unnecessary. H used the lamb to make a delicious curry for dinner.


TG seemed a bit behind with her schoolwork today, which is unusual for her, and missed an online class as she didn't realise the time had been moved forward half an hour. We thought maybe she had got out of routine because she no longer has H to work with, but it turned out when I asked her later that she had missed her alarm this morning - either it didn't go off, or she slept through it. M and I worked all morning and into the early afternoon. H and her BF took advantage of what looked likely to be the best weather of the week and went out for a walk this afternoon. They used my Ordnance Survey maps app to find a walk a few miles away, which they said was a nice mix of woodland and paths across a golf course. On the way back they stopped off for a drive through Starbucks. Although H makes excellent coffee, she still misses buying one occasionally.

The lockdown experience has definitely made us more appreciative of small things like a takeaway coffee. I was chatting to TG this evening and she says the only things she is missing now are dancing in the studio rather than virtual classes, and going on holiday. School not so much as she is now able to see her friends and likes being able to work in her own time at home.

No comments: