Friday 5 June 2020

Staying Home: Day 81

Today H submitted her last assignment and officially finished uni. She will be notified of her final grade in early July - based on her calculations she things she has done enough to get the 1st class degree she wants, but will not know for sure until she gets her official results. It is a shame she misses out on the end-of-uni fun she had planned with her friends, but we did celebrate with a bottle of cava and a fish and chip takeaway. Speaking of H, I forgot to post a picture of this painting which she finished earlier in the week - it is for TG as Ratatouille is her favourite Disney film.


I spent much of today doing battle with digital things for the archives. I tried to convert a county map into an outline which I could superimpose on Google maps. I finally managed to do what I wanted, but in the end couldn't quite get the outline to line up correctly on the underlying map. I did manage to start setting up some markers and links from Google maps to our website, and hopefully next week I will be able to make faster progress with what I am trying to do. I have always enjoyed the bits of programming I have done. I'm reasonably confident with the logic, but not very familiar with the language - I'm trying to use Javascript - so it is a challenge. I treat it like a puzzle to solve, and usually get there in the end.


M started his day with a trip to the rubbish tip (dump). He said it was all very well organised, with booked slots. Although there was quite a queue of cars when he got there, it moved at a reasonable speed. He showed his booking on his phone and was sent to a parking slot. This was a challenge as he finds them awkward to manoeuvre into at the best of times, and as half the slots have been blocked off to ensure social distancing it was trickier than usual. There were staff on hand to tell him where things needed to go, but all from a suitable distance. Everything worked fine, it just took longer than pre-Covid - we came to the conclusion this is going to be true of a lot of things for the foreseeable future.


I had more energy again today, so did yoga at lunchtime and then went for a three mile walk later in the afternoon with M. H was feeling lazy and only did a short exercise class, and TG had a dance class this evening. The timings of walks, dancing and takeaway meant we didn't get to watch the rest of Star Wars. It looks as though it will be raining most of tomorrow, so we may have a movie binge day.

No comments: